Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 22 18:54:21 EST 2001

I've extracted the edits that Don made at the IPP WG meeting in Tampa so
that the mailing list can see them regarding the "Internet Printing Protocol
(IPP): The 'indp' Delivery Method for Event Notifications and Protocol/1.0"
out for IPP WG Last Call closing on March 26, 2001.  These comments are
being treated as Last Call comments.  Send any comments on these comments to
the entire mailing list.

1. In section 5.2.1 notify-recipient-uri (uri), Should we call out a
reference to Section 12 here which is the "12 INDP URL Scheme" section?

2. In section 11.1 Conformance Requirements for Printers, need to explain
"why" for this conformance requirement #7:

   7. MUST convert INDP URLs to their corresponding HTTP URL forms by the
same rules used to convert IPP URLs to their corresponding HTTP URL forms
(see section 5 'IPP URL Scheme' in [RFC2910]).

3. In section 12.5.2 INDP URL Comparisons, we suggest a simpler explanation
of the comparison algorithm:

   When comparing two IPP URLs to decide if they match or not, an IPP
   Client SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the
   entire URLs, with these exceptions:

   - A port that is empty or not given is equivalent to the well-known
     port for that IPP URL (port 631);

   - Comparisons of host names MUST be case-insensitive;

   - Comparisons of scheme names MUST be case-insensitive;

   - An empty 'abs_path' is equivalent to an 'abs_path' of "/".

   Characters other than those in the "reserved" and "unsafe" sets (see
   [RFC-2396] and [RFC-2732]) are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX"
   encoding.     For example, the following three URIs are equivalent:

       ipp://abc.com:631/~smith/printer
       ipp://ABC.com/%7Esmith/printer
       ipp://ABC.com:/%7esmith/printer

Would this be more clear?  "All of the URL up to the 'abs_path' MUST be
case-insensitive.  The 'abs_path' SHOULD be case-sensitive."

Thanks,
Tom