Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 29 16:31:08 EST 2001

Norbert Schade wrote:
> This would indicate that these two values are valid for all input
> trays, which normally is wrong. These are input tray specific
> values. I know that they can be affected by some other setting as
> well like a duplexer. These conditions are certainly out of scope
> of the global media list.

That is correct, but I think we can add a fourth "rule" for the
spec, which will apply to *all* attributes (remember, there are
plenty of printers that can't print on cardstock from particular
trays, too, so it ain't just an issue for custom sizes... :)

I think this will be appropriate for the "scope" section; it
should mention that the media spec just defines the values, not
what will be supported for a particular combination, and that
the underlying protocols must handle this mess themselves (e.g.
IPP uses the media collection stuff or validate-job to determine
the valid combinations of values...)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com