IPP> FW: More on "Foo Counters" in RFC 3092

Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Apr 2 17:07:58 EDT 2001

All,

The new RFC 3092 on "Foo" has already got praise from a number of readers.
See complementary information about MIT "Foo Counters" below.

I identified the need for such a document about 2 years ago, but it kept on
being too far down on my priority list.

In late 2000 I was contacted by Donald Eastlake, who suggested he could give
me hand with the project, and he took over the main editorship.

When Donald was checking round if we could reference text from various
sources, he stumbled upon Eric S. Raymond, well known evangelist for Open
Source and author of books like "The New Hacker's Dictionary" and "The
Cathedral & the Bazaar". Eric not only approved of using some quotes from
his works, but also offered to become a co-author. You can find out more
about Eric at: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/

Some of the originally proposed text was dropped in the process to make sure
that we kept it on a professional level, but this is probably the only RFC
so far that uses the term 'Fucked Up...'.

Carl-Uno