UPD> Re: IPP> min/max custom size values

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Apr 3 15:30:22 EDT 2001

Mark,

I agree that real applications need to know about combinations of media
attributes.  However, each print protocol has different ways to deal with
that.  So I think it is wiser for the Media standard to just list the names
of the various characteristics and leave it to the various Print protocols
do deal with combinations.

Ok?

For example, have you seen the IEEE-ISTO PWG 5100.3 Production Printing
Extension, which does combine the media attributes into a collection, so
that combinations can be configured by the administrator.  However, even
that spec does not have a way for the client to query the supported
combinations.  Last summer and fall, the IPP WG considered a proposal for a
Resource object that had a number of operations to create, delete, and query
Resource objects of a defined type.  Media was a suggested type.  Then the
group agreed that IPP should really have distinct set of operations for each
object type, so that we need to write a spec for the Media object that has
operations, like Create-Media, Delete-Media, Get-Media-Attributes, Get-Media
(with a filter).

Are you interested in seeing such a spec and reviewing and/or contributing
to it?

An another example or a print protocol that deals with the combinations
problem, the UPnP EnhancedLayoutPrint template defines a GetMargins
operation in which the input parameters are MediaType and MediaSize and the
output parameter is the four margins.  If the client supplies a combination
of MediaType and MediaSize that is not supported, the Printer MUST return an
error code.

Thanks,
Tom