don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Thu Apr 5 03:18:59 EDT 2001

All:

I too am violently opposed to this addition to what STARTED as a nice, simple,
short standard that accomplished a lot.  I would hate to see this grow and grow
and grow until we can specify:

toilet-tissue.na-4x4.4000-4000.white.extra-soft.two-ply.lubricated

PLEASE STOP!! Write another INFORMATIONAL document if you want to do this.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Chair, Printer Working Group               *
* Chair, IEEE MSC                            *
*                                            *
* Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances  *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 859-232-4808 (phone) 859-232-6740 (fax)    *

Tom,

This new proposal is much more complex than what was presented
yesterday.  I thought that the previous version was more than
adequate for what was requested.  I would like to hear from
those that were asking for the "all-in-one" format before we
make any further decisions on either proposal.

I did notice one item in reading your proposal...
I was about to suggest the addition of the media types:

    - stationery-bond
    - stationery-recycled
    - stationery-punched
    - stationery-letterhead
    - stationery-preprinted

Which seem to fit very well into the current list of media types.

I see that the Production Printing Extension has media-pre-printed
as a separate attribute with keywords pre-printed and letter-head.
Also, media-recycled is a separate attribute.

It seems that extending the stationary type, as is done with
envelope and continuous may not be as flexible but provides a
fewer number of attibutes.

    Ron