Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 10 16:24:14 EDT 2001

"Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
> A valid Media Self Describing Name MUST include the Media Size Self
> Describing Name (both Size Name and Dimensions fields as defined in
> the D0.5 Draft) followed by other fields which MUST be in the
> following order:

What about a media with a glossy back finish but a matte front
finish?  Do you then explicitly include the "matte" for the front
finish?

Also, this requires the parser to know what keywords go with what
attribute - that is, "matte" is a finish attribute, and "bond" is
a media type name, "80-gram" is a media weight, etc...

If we are going to make this a "standard", then we probably want
to require any intervening names to be included, for example:

    na-letter.8500-11000.red

should be:

    na-letter.8500-11000.stationary.plain.red

or:

    na-letter.8500-11000...red

with any unspecified fields *after* the last one set to the
default (or matching any value)

This is one of the reasons I think we should not try to add
all-in-one names to the spec, but should use the existing
mechanisms (e.g. for IPP the "media-col" attribute) and just
standardize the naming of the values.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com