iwauchi.nobuyuki at canon.co.jp iwauchi.nobuyuki at canon.co.jp
Tue Apr 10 22:09:15 EDT 2001

Hello Tom and all,

I have some questions about the following cases:

Q1: If a sheet is Photo Papar with tabs, what's a Media Type name
(MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_LABEL or photographic or tab-stock) ?

Q2: If a sheet is Photo Paper of a high gloss film, what's a Media Type Name
(MEDIA_HIGH_GLOSS_FILM or photographic) ?

 I think it's better to add "high-gloss-film" to Media Coating Attribute (like a
"glossy","high-glossy" etc. ), because "high-gloss-film" represent a coating.
If so, I could specify a Media Type("Photogpaphic") and Media coating
("high-gloss-film") in the Q2 case.

I'd like to add the following media types(*) and media coating (**) to existing
list.

Canon Media            | media type        | media coating
High Gloss(Photo )Film | Photographic      | high-gloss-film (**)
Photo Paper Pro        |  Photographic     | high-gloss
High Resolution Paper  |  stationery(?)    | coated (**)
Back Print Film        |  BackPrintFilm(*) | none
Fabric Sheets          |  stationery(?)    | fabric (**)

Refenced URL :
Canon Paper <http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cgi-bin/inkpaper.pl?q=Y&c=Y&p=paper>

Best Regard,

---------------------------------------
   Canon Inc.  Tamagawa Office
   i Printer Development Center
   i Printer Design Dept.75

   Nobuyuki Iwauchi
     E-Mail: iwauchi at bpd.canon.co.jp
     phone : +81-44-844-2111
---------------------------------------

"Hastings, Tom N" wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the specifics.

> 5 of the 19 PWG Media Type Name list values are in the 25 names in the IBM
> Omni list.
> 14 of the PWG Media Type name list values are not in the IBM Omni list.
> 5 of the 25 IBM Omni names are in the PWG Media Type name list.
> 20 of the IBM Omni names are not in the PWG Media Type name list.
>
> Most the 20 IBM names look like they could be added to the current Media
> Type Name and adding a description of each.  The only ones that seem
> somewhat orthogonal, i.e., could apply to a number of Media Types, are:
>
>       /* MEDIA_GLOSSY                */ "Glossy",
>       /* MEDIA_COATED                */ "Coated",
>
> That is why we put these two into a separate Media Coating Name field in
our
> "all-in-one" proposal, since they could apply to a number of Media Types.
>
> Lets compare the current Media Type Name from D0.5 with your list:
>
> Media Type Name      OMNI equivalent
> ---------------      ---------------
> stationery           plain
> transparency         transparency
> envelope             envelope
> envelope-plain
> envelope-window
> continuous
> continuous-long
> continuous-short
> tab-stock
> pre-cut-tabs
> full-cut-tabs
> multi-part-form
> labels
> multi-layer
> screen
> screen-paged
> photographic         photographic-paper
> cardstock            cardstock
> roll
> and drop 'other'
>
> Lets compare your list with the current D0.5 Media Type Name list (I
removed
> the comments that were no more than the name).
>
> The "--" means not in PWG Media Type Name list
> The "**" means not in PWG Media Type Name list AND seems a good candidate
> for a separate field, so that it could be used with a number of other
Media
> Types.
>
> Media Type Name  Omni
> ---------------  ----
>
> --              /* MEDIA_NONE  */ realy means media default,
> stationery      /* MEDIA_PLAIN
> transparency    /* MEDIA_TRANSPARENCY
> **              /* MEDIA_GLOSSY
> --              /* MEDIA_SPECIAL
> **              /* MEDIA_COATED
> --              /* MEDIA_BACKPRINT  */ "Backprint",   type
>                                      used for Window
>                                     sitcker-print bacwards
> --              /* MEDIA_CLOTH
> --              /* MEDIA_THICK
> --              /* MEDIA_HIGH_GLOSS_FILM
> --              /* MEDIA_HIGH_RESOLUTION
> --              /* MEDIA_SPECIAL_360
> --              /* MEDIA_SPECIAL_720
> --              /* MEDIA_PLAIN_ENHANCED
> --              /* MEDIA_IRON_ON
> --              /* MEDIA_LABECA
> --              /* MEDIA_THERMAL
> --              /* MEDIA_CD_MASTER  */ "CD-master",  CD or
>                                        CD label
> cardstock       /* MEDIA_CARDBOARD
> --              /* MEDIA_POSTCARD
> photographic    /* MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_PAPER
> --              /* MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_LABEL
>                 /* MEDIA_PREMIUM_PAPER
> --              /* MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_PAPER (duplicate?)
> envelope        /* MEDIA_ENVELOPE
> --              /* MEDIA_OTHER
>
> So there are a lot of "--" meaning types that aren't in the Media Type
Name