Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 19 19:20:15 EDT 2001

The goal of developing a complete (as possible) and accurate list of media
names and sizes is good as an industry reference and resource. But the
creation of the self describing name seems to imply some good programmatic
use. Our experience in driver development is that the information provided
in the self describing name is not enough to facilitate the kinds of
choices necessary. Missing are (at least)

Printable Area
Operator Intervention (required or not... i.e. media is only avail in
manual tray)
Short Name (very useful for command line environments)
Actual Units (1/1000mm, for example, or other units such as pels or Twips)

A lot of work has gone into the media list so I'm not suggesting we
abandon it. I'd like to understand uses for the self describing name.

I do suggest, even if we keep self describing name as is and forge ahead
to close the work on the media list, that the next thing we need to do is
define the media DTD or some standard structure for describing media
characteristics... completely!