Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Apr 20 18:21:55 EDT 2001

Ron,

I did a lousy job of proof-reading the Appendix.

I believe that the Media Size Self Describing Name can be used as keyword
values of the "media" Job Template attribute, including the
"media-supported", "media-default", and "media-ready" Printer attributes.
This is the most important contribution of the Media Standard to IPP/1.1
usage.  So an extra line should be added to table about IPP/1.1:

Media Size Self Describing Name

keyword values of the "media" Job Template attribute, including the
"media-default", "media-ready", and "media-supported" Printer attributes

I also think that we need to add the phrase "keyword values of the" in front
of the entry for using Media Type Names as values of the "media" attribute,
so that it is clear that these Name values are to be represented in IPP as
'keyword' values, not as 'name' values, since the "media" attribute has
both: "media" (type3 keyword | name(MAX)).  This clarification is
particularly important since our PWG Media Standardized Names standards
calls these values: "Names", not "keywords".  Without such a clarification,
we could have serious interoperability problems.  Remember that a client
should try to localize a 'keyword', but not a 'name', before displaying it
to a user.  Also a 'name' value has a natural language associated with it,
either explicitly or implicitly, while a 'keyword' does not.

Tom