pmoore at netreon.com pmoore at netreon.com
Tue May 1 20:27:51 EDT 2001

I know I havent contributed much lately and apologize if I am rehashing
arguments that have already been covered.

Why does the name have to include the size - my name doesnt include my telephone
number, if somebody needs my phone number they look it up using my name as a
'key'. Surely the correct solution is to allow a device to assign any name it
likes to media (probably choosing well known ones for its market, B3, Letter,
....). If the client app /driver needs to know the physical size then all that
is needed is an operation to query the paper size, the response must include the
units. Likewise the app more than likely needs to know the markable area - it
should be provided with a mechanism for asking for that information. Similarly
if you need to know the color, thickness, manufacturer, weight, permiability,
date of purchase, etc. there should be queriable attributes to read these
things; lest we end up with don's

na_toilet_paper.continous.landscape.ruffled.4_4in.offpink.clockwise

Which tells you everything except the markable area and the manufacturer

If a device has more that one A4 available (say), then it can invent names for
them (or even be operator assigned). To support this case there should also be a
'standard name' attribute that can be queried - this would return A4, legal,
ASMEY14,...