Herriot, Robert Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com
Wed May 2 23:12:06 EDT 2001

Today we discussed adding media-type values, such as stationary-recycled and
stationary-bond.

If we add stationary-recycled, we have now created two ways to specify
recycled  media: one with the media-recycled attribute and the other with a
new value of media-type.

This solution creates an interoperability nightmare.

Some clients will understand media-recycled=standard and not
media-type=stationary-recycled. Other clients will be the opposite. The same
is true for printers. So, even though both a client and a printer support
recycled media, they may be unable to communicate about it because they have
implemented recycled media in a way that the other doesn't support.  If a
printer implements both, the following combinations must mean recycled:

  media-recycled=standard and    media-type=unspecified
  media-recycled=standard and    media-type=stationary
  media-recycled=standard and    media-type=stationary-recycled
  media-recycled=none and        media-type=stationary-recycled
  media-recycled=unspecified and media-type=stationary-recycled.

Is this what we really want?

The same problem occurs with bond if it comes through JDF which has bond as
a value of media-stock. It is not a problem with IPP.