don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Thu May 3 16:15:52 EDT 2001

I most strongly disagree with this decision.  I believe the Portland decision:

na_letter_8.5-11, iso_a4_210-297

or the Maui direction are the correct answers!!

What does "x" mean?  Why do we have an alphabetic character in the middle of a
dimensional string?  Does it have any intrinsic meaning to non-English speakers?
What will it mean to someone in China when the paper size is shown as "8.5x11in"
for all the cases that keep getting brought up where the name will be blasted to
the screen without filtering and parsing?  If we are going to explicitly include
units, we should define the abbreviations for all units ever known or that could
ever be invented so an application written today will know how to interpret this
information 20 years from now.

I intend to continue to lobby against this and to vote NO when it goes through
the last call process.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Chair, Printer Working Group               *
* Chair, IEEE MSC                            *
* Director, Alliances & Standards            *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)    *

"Hastings, Tom N" <hastings%cp10.es.xerox.com at interlock.lexmark.com> on
05/02/2001 07:30:01 PM