mjoel at netreon.com mjoel at netreon.com
Mon Jul 16 16:24:28 EDT 2001

Hi Tom,

Regarding allowing the printer to return
"suggested-ask-again-time-interval" with a reply containing events and then
disconnect, even if the client wanted push mode, I like it.  This approach
allows server implementors to either not support push mode, or support it
with a limited number of tied-up connections.  It also works with existing
client implementations, which will simply respond to what looks to them
like a lost connection (although they won't wait to reconnect, and I see
nothing we can do about that).  Good solution.

Regards,

Marty

"Hastings, Tom N" <hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com> on 07/16/2001 12:51:31 PM

To:   mjoel at netreon.com
cc:   "Bob Herriot (E-mail)" <rherriot at pahv.xerox.com>, "Tom Hastings
      (E-mail)" <hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com>, "McDonald Ira at Sharp
      (E-mail)" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>, "Ira at Xerox XR&T McDonald
      (E-mail)" <IMcDonald at crt.xerox.com>, "Lewis Harry (E-mail)"
      <harryl at us.ibm.com>

Subject:  RE: IPP> NOT - substantive clarification about order Printer send
      s Event Notifications

Marty,

You make a good technical and process argument here to make the order
implementation dependent.  Then no current implementations of Printers
would
be affected.

What about your other suggestion for IPPGET to have a way to return some
events and request the client to disconnect if the Printer finds that there
are currently too many ports tied up?

Do we need to schedule a telecon this Wednesday 10:00 AM PDT on this issue?
The deadline for the I-Ds, is this Friday!!!!!

Instead of the drastic change to make wait mode OPTIONAL to support [and
invert the sense of the "notify-no-wait" (boolean) and change the name),
how
about the following relaxation of the IPPGET spec:

Allow the Printer to return the "suggested-ask-again-time-interval"
attribute along with Event Notifications even when the client had requested
wait mode if the Printer finds that the number of connections is too high.
Currently, the "suggested-ask-again-time-interval" can only be returned if:

  a) the Printer returns "server-error-busy' OR
  b) the Printer returns 'successful-ok' status code and the client
supplied
the "notify-no-wait" attribute with a value of 'true'.

We could allow the Printer to return "suggested-ask-again-time-interval"
attribute even when the client supplied the "notify-no-wait' = 'false' or
omitted it, in which case the client is kindly requested to disconnect (or
the Printer will).

Thoughts?

Tom