Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 16 20:35:12 EDT 2001

"McDonald, Ira" wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> You don't mention whether you also do an SLP registration for
> LPR and AppleTalk queues?

Nope, just IPP.  CUPS only talks IPP natively, and uses external
servers for LPD, SMB, and AppleTalk (in the case of LPD, a little
inetd-based mini-daemon, the rest is SAMBA/CAP/netatalk/etc)

> The population of multiple SLP registrations for the same printer
> will cause multiple LDAP Printer objects for the same printer
> automatically by the behavior of SLPv2 DAs that shadow SLP
> registrations to the customer's enterprise directory via LDAP
> (which also causes enterprise distribution and replication of
> Printer objects).

This shouldn't be a problem with the current CUPS implementation;
if we add support for multiple addresses per printer, then those
registrations will likely only be provided to the appropriate
subnet, not to the network as a whole (otherwise there could be
routing issues with the advertised URLs...)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com