Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jul 20 11:22:58 EDT 2001

Mike Bartman wrote:
> I could be mis-remembering, but I believe the HTTP 1.1 RFC says
> that intermediate links in a transmission, such as a proxy server,
> may remove the chunked nature of an HTTP 1.1 transmission if it
> chooses to.  I remember there being some discussion of the method
> for doing this in the RFC.

Yes, from the RFC:

   This requirement prevents an interoperability failure when the
   message is being received by an HTTP/1.1 (or later) proxy and
   forwarded to an HTTP/1.0 recipient. It avoids a situation where
   compliance with the protocol would have necessitated a possibly
   infinite buffer on the proxy.

That said, it sounds like the only safe way to get asynchronous
updates with ippget is to use a multi-part content type, with each
event notification (or compound notification) in its own
application/ipp message part.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com