McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Jul 22 18:08:57 EDT 2001

Hi James,

I have been thinking that there are three kinds of automatic shadowing
that an SLP DA might use to discovered (via DNS, DHCP, or SLP) LDAP
servers:

1)  For IANA registered well-known templates (e.g., 'service:printer')
    with standard translations (e.g., the LDAP Printer Schema that
    Pat Fleming and I wrote), do INTELLIGENT shadowing according to
    a configured policy - e.g., attach the LDAP Printer aux class to
    the matching (same 'lpr:' URL) already configured LDAP DMTF
    CIM_Printer logical device, instead of creating a brand new
    LDAP Printer object for the shadow copy.

2)  For IANA registered well-known templates ONLY (not privates)
    without standard translations, according to configured policy
    do simple rule-based shadowing according to RFC 2926.  Due to
    administrative configuration, the LDAP server should already
    know about the resulting LDAP object class, so that the SLP DA
    need not register the object class and _then_ the instance with
    the LDAP server.

3)  For private templates (unknown to the SLP DA), according to a
    SEPARATE configured policy, do simple rule-based shadowing
    according to RFC 2926.  This is probably the worst case -
    because the LDAP server probably won't know about the object
    class.

Now, about where to configure the shadowed objects in the LDAP tree:

[We had an interesting brief chat with Hugo Parra and Ted Tronson
of Novell about this last week - they also think auto-shadowing
into LDAP objects is tricky to very difficult, so you're not alone.]

Why not copy the advertised SLP scope names (which are generally
geographic and/or organizational in realistic use cases) into
a concatenated single string (say with hyphens between) and use
that value for an 'ou=' (Organizational Unit) LDAP attribute,
to place the advertised service (e.g., a printer) into the
organizational subtree of the enterprise network (as opposed
to the user subtree, where the LDAP Printer aux class is useful)?

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald