Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Sep 5 16:07:43 EDT 2001

The June 2000 version of the Notification spec had the following statements
as part of the "notify-persistence" Subscription Template attribute (which
allowed the client to request persistence or not):

It is RECOMMENDED that all Subscription Objects be persistent. If Jobs are
persistent, the Per-Job Subscription Objects MUST be persistent too.

We agreed to delete this Subscription Template attribute and the statement
was deleted as well.

Should we add the above statement back into the Notification Spec?

Since the RFC 2911 doesn't appear to recommend persistent jobs, but does
admit to an implementation having persistent jobs, how about just adding the
second sentence to the Notification Spec:

If Jobs are persistent, i.e., are preserved across power cycles, then
Per-Job Subscription Objects MUST be persistent too.

Adding such a statement is what Ira is suggesting as well.

Also the statement that Harry excerpted from the
"notify-lease-expiration-time" attribute description could be
mis-interpreted:

When the Printer powers up, it MUST set the value of this attribute in each
persistent Subscription Object using the algorithm in the previous
paragraph.

Harry correctly interpreted the adjective "persistent" meaning any
Subscription object that MAY be persistent rather than meaning that all
Subscription objects are persistent (by definition).

It might help to clarify that sentence by replacing it with the following
statement:

If a Printer has persistent Subscription object when it powers up, it MUST
set the value of this attribute in each persistent Subscription Object using
the algorithm in the previous paragraph.

Comments?

Thanks,
Tom