Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jul 17 21:21:01 EDT 2002

Ira McDonald and I were talking about the IPPGET which has a "redirect-uri"
operation attribute that MAY be returned in a Get-Notifications response
when the 'redirection-other-site' status code returned.  Here is all of the
text in the document that deals with redirection:

5.2 Get-Notifications Response

redirection-other-site: The Printer does not handle this operation and
requests the Notification Recipient to perform the operation again with the
uri specified by the "redirect-uri" Operation Attribute in the response.
See section 10.2.

5.2.3 redirect-uri (uri)

The value of this attribute is the uri that the Notification Recipient MUST
use for a subsequent Get-Notifications operation.  The Printer MAY support
this attribute.  This attribute MUST be returned in the Operation Attributes
Group if and only if the Printer returns the 'redirection-other-site' status
code (see section 10.2).

10.2 redirection-other-site (0x0300)

This status code means that the Printer doesn't perform that
Get-Notifications operation and that the "redirect-uri" operation attribute
(see section 5.2.3) in the response contains the uri that the Notification
Recipient MUST use for performing the Get-Notifications operation.  If the
client issues subsequent Get-Notifications operations, it MUST use the value
of the "redirect-uri" operation attribute returned by the Printer as the
target of the operation.

12.1 Printer Conformance

8.	MUST support the "redirection-other-site" status code defined 10.2,
if it redirects Get-Notifications operations;

Presumably a client MUST support the 'redirection-other-side' status code if
it ever is returned by a Printer in a Get-Notifications response, though
section 12.2 Client Conformance doesn't mention this.

We suggest that we delete all of the above text from the IPPGET spec, so
that there is no redirect status code and no "redirect-uri" operation
attribute for the following reasons:

1. The HTTP Layer already has redirect for all operations, not just
Get-Notifications.  Introducing a competing redirection mechanism into the
application layer seems a mistake.  What happens if they both occur?

2. Redirection has a number of problems for Get-Notifications, in that if a
Printer is using a Notification Server to return events, along with other
Printers, then getting job attributes from the Job object on a job event
means that the job-ids for each of the Printers have to be allocated in a
non-conflicting way for each of the Printers.  Or alternatively, the Printer
needs to return not only a "redirect-uri", but also possibly a new-job-id,
if the job id has changed.

3. If we ever wanted to put IPP semantics on another transport, we can
decide then whether to introduce the redirection concept into IPP
application layer for all operations (and fix the problems listed above) or
use the transport's redirect mechanism.

4. Removing this redirect mechanism makes it simpler for a client using
Get-Notifications, since the client won't have to deal with it.  And since
IPPGET is proposed to be the REQUIRED notification method, simplifying
IPPGET for clients is a good idea.

Comments?

Tom