McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Mon Feb 11 13:28:03 EST 2002

Copies: "SLP Project" <srvloc-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net>
        "IETF IPP WG" <ipp at pwg.org>
        "Mark Bakke" <mbakke at cisco.com>
        "Ira McDonald" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

Hi folks,                                      Monday (11 February 2002)

I've just sent a revised draft of 'Definitions of Managed Objects for
Service Location Protocol (SLP MIB)' to the Internet-Drafts editor and
posted a copy on the Printer Working Group (PWG) Anonymous FTP server in
the directory 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_SLP/' in the files:

    <draft-mcdonald-svrloc-mib-02.txt> (11 February 2002) - full I-D
    <draft-mcdonald-svrloc-mib-02.mib> (11 February 2002) - SMIv2 MIB

This draft is a major rewrite to reduce size and complexity, per request
of Bert Wijnen (Lucent, IETF Ops Area Director).  The previous draft
defined 142 objects.  The new draft defines 10 mandatory and 9 optional
objects.

ISSUE:  The new 'Property' group supports optional configuration of
SLPv2 properties, as defined in SLPv2 API (RFC 2614).  But this creates
a Normative dependency on RFC 2614.  Either the SLPv2 API must be
advanced from Informational to 'standards track' or the SLP MIB must not
allow any remote configuration of SLP properties (which would prevent
the intended IETF IPS WG usage model for iSCSI).

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (co-editor of SLP MIB)
  High North Inc
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com

13.  Appendix I - Issues

   [to be deleted before publication as an RFC]

   ISSUE 02-1 - Should the SLPv2 API [RFC2614] be made 'standards track'
   or should the Property group (configuration) be deleted from SLP MIB?

14.  Appendix X - Change Log

   [to be deleted before publication as an RFC]

   <draft-mcdonald-svrloc-mib-02.txt> 11 February 2002
   - major rewrite to reduce complexity, per request of Bert Wijnen
   - simplified indexing in Scope, Address, and Attribute groups
   - changed MAX-ACCESS of all columnar objects from 'read-create' to
     'read-only' (for required Monitoring)
   - deleted all 'RowStatus' objects (no longer needed)
   - added Property group with 'read-write' scalar objects (for optional
     Configuration) based on SLPv2 API [RFC2614]
   - deleted Admin, Timer, Network, Interface, Counter, and Trace groups
   - deleted Alert notification group

Copies: "Internet Drafts Editor" <internet-drafts at ietf.org>
        "Mark Bakke" <mbakke at cisco.com>
        "Ira McDonald" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

I-D Editor,                                    Monday (11 February 2002)

Please place this updated document in the Internet-Drafts repository
named:

    <draft-mcdonald-svrloc-mib-02.txt> (11 February 2002)

It replaces the previous draft:

    <draft-mcdonald-svrloc-mib-01.txt> (20 November 2001)

Abstract

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it defines as set of managed objects that support
   monitoring and configuration of Service Location Protocol Version 2
   (SLPv2) [RFC2608] [RFC3111] directory agents (DAs), service agents
   (SAs), and user agents (UAs).

Thanks very much,
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com