McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Jun 30 12:26:42 EDT 2002

Copies: IPP WG <ipp at pwg.org>
        SLP Discussion List <srvloc-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net>
        Pat Fleming <flemingp at us.ibm.com>
        Ken Jones <kjones at bytemobile.com>
        Harry Lewis <harryl at us.ibm.com>
        Ira McDonald <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

Hi folks,                                          Sunday (30 June 2002)

I've just sent a final version of 'LDAP Schema for Printer Services' to
the Internet-Drafts editor and posted a copy on the PWG server in the
directory 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_LDAP/' in the file:

    <draft-fleming-ldap-printer-schema-02.txt> (June 2002)

There have been a number of minor revisions, based on IESG 'last call'
comments.  The document includes a change history appendix (to be
deleted before RFC publication - see below).

The technical content is entirely unchanged from the previous version.

As soon as this I-D is available in the IETF repository, we will request
that it be published as an Informational RFC.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (co-editor of LDAP printer schema)
  High North Inc
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com

Copies: Internet Drafts Editor <internet-drafts at ietf.org>
        Pat Fleming <flemingp at us.ibm.com>
        Ira McDonald <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

I-D Editor,                                        Sunday (30 June 2002)

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository named:

    <draft-fleming-ldap-printer-schema-02.txt> (June 2002)

It replaces the previous:

    <draft-fleming-ldap-printer-schema-01.txt> (February 2002)

There have been a number of minor revisions, based on IESG 'last call'
comments.  The document includes a change history appendix (to be
deleted before RFC publication).

The technical content is entirely unchanged from the previous version.

Abstract

   This document defines a schema, object classes and attributes, for
   printers and printer services, for use with directories that support
   Lightweight Directory Access Protocol v3 (LDAP-TS).  This document is
   based on the printer attributes listed in Appendix E of Internet
   Printing Protocol/1.1 (IPP) (RFC 2911).  A few additional printer
   attributes are based on definitions in the Printer MIB (RFC 1759).

Thanks very much,
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com

[Excerpt from Change History]

   30 June 2002 - draft-fleming-ldap-printer-schema-02.txt
   - Final edits after IESG 'last call';
   - Revised title page and section 12 'Acknowledgments' to acknowledge
     Ken Jones and Harry Lewis as major contributors (rather than as
     current editors), per new RFC Editor policies;
   - Rewrote and simplified Abstract and section 1 Introduction, per
     comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Added section 1.1 'Rationale for using DirectoryString syntax', per
     comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Added section 1.2 'Rationale for using caseIgnoreMatch', per
     comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Added section 1.3 'Rationale for using caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch',
     per comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Renamed section 2 to 'Terminology and Conventions' and added schema
     definition format reference, per comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Revised section 3 and section 4 to remove (erroneous) guidance on
     adding new attributes to existing classes and discussion of RDN for
     auxiliary classes, per comments from Kurt Zeilenga and Ryan Moats;
   - Revised section 4 'Definition of Attribute Types' to remove
     (erroneous) guidance on support of matching rules, per comments
     from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Revised section 4 'Definition of Attribute Types' to remove
     normative/lengthy descriptions from the DESC clauses and place them
     _below_ each formal attribute definition, per comments from Kurt
     Zeilenga;
   - Revised section 4 'Definition of Attribute Types', removing all
     ORDERING clauses using 'caseIgnoreOrderingMatch', per comments from
     Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Revised sections 4.x printer-uri, printer-xri-supported, and
     printer-more-info, to provide guidance on application handling of
     malformed URI and reference new sections 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3, per
     comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Revised section 6 'Definition of Matching Rules' to remove
     (erroneous) guidance on support of matching rules, per comments
     from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Revised section 7 'IANA Considerations' to include completed
     templates for IANA registration of new object classes and attribute
     types, defined in this document;
   - Revised section 9 'Security Considerations' to reference RFC 2829
     (for authentication methods) and RFC 2830 (for TLS confidentiality
     and integrity), per comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Revised (former) section 10 'References', to separate normative and
     informative references, per comments from Kurt Zeilenga;
   - Corrected author contact info.