Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Aug 27 20:19:39 EDT 2002

So Bob proposes:

1. Change the proposed name from "alternate-target-uri" to
"optimal-target-uri".

I agree.  This seems to be a better name and doesn't preclude us from using
this attribute for any operation in the future where there is an more
optimal uri.  The URI might be more optimal because it is faster or because
the server doesn't keep closing down the Get-Notifications wait mode
connection because the server can keep a huge number of connections open
simultaneously (for a number of printers).

2. Clarify that the URI can be to the same Printer implementation; it
doesn't have to be to a different host that has the Notification Server.

I agree.

3. Clarify that the URI can even be the same as the original URI, so that it
isn't any more optimal.  So the client doesn't have to check for the same or
different, but can just blindly use it for subsequent Get-Notifications.

I agree.  So the description would say that the URI MAY provide more optimal
performance either faster or less likely to close down the connection.

So the language would be something like the Printer MAY return the
"optimal-target-uri" operation attribute which is a hint to the client to
use for subsequent Get-Notifications requests.  The URI returned depends on
implementation.  For example, the URI MAY be (1) to a separate Notification
Server, (2) a different URI to the same Printer implementation, or (3) the
same URI as the original target URI to the same Printer implementation.
Depending on implementation, the URI MAY provide better performance or
reduce the chance of the target closing the Get-Notifications Wait Mode
connection in order to reduce the number of simultaneous connections.

4. Change the client conformance requirement to support the
"optimal-target-uri" from SHOULD to MAY.

I'm not sure I agree.  Carl Bugler's added reason for using a server to be
able to support a large number of connections (500 or more) seems a
compelling reason for Printers to use a Notification Server with IPPGET and
so at least RECOMMEND that clients use the returned URL, if not REQUIRE
clients to use it, for subsequent Get-Notifications.

Question:

Has this become so simple for Printers, that we could REQUIRE the printer to
always return "optimal-target-uri" to simplify clients, now that the URI can
be the same as the original Printer target URI.

Tom