IPP> RE: IPP security

Carl carl at manros.com
Fri Feb 28 20:25:58 EST 2003

Ian,

The latest IPP specifications in RFC 2910 and 2911 contain strong
recommendations to support SSL3 or TLS in IPP implementations.

However, you need to check with your suppliers of IPP client and IPP
Printers that they have indeed implemented it, or make your own tests to
verify it.

If TLS and/or SSL3 is implemented, it should support mutual authentication
of IPP Client and IPP Printer and allow you to encrypt the whole print job.

I am also copying your message to the IPP WG distribution list, so that
vendors of IPP Clients and Printers can reply to you directly and let you
know which of their products support your needs.

Regards,

Carl-Uno Manros
IETF IP WG Chair