Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Apr 23 03:05:08 EDT 2003

Harry wrote:

> 2.  I support healthy alignment with FSG and I've been pushing for a job
ticket interface to PSI. It's just... every time I ask for a show of hands
regarding actual support for PDL-override the response is always lackluster.

I don't see the difference between a job ticket and IPP with respect to PDL
override.  If a user submits instructions to the Printer either via IPP or a
Job ticket, the user would hope that his instructions would override what is
in the document.  The Printer's "pdl-override" (type2 keyword) Printer
Description has values: 'not-attempted', 'attempted', and 'guaranteed',
saying how well the Printer implementation is able to honor the users
instructions (whether they be IPP Job Template attributes or Job Ticket
attributes)  in case the PDL has a confliciting instruction.  Said another
way, the Printer has the same problem with implementing override whether the
user's instruction comes in the IPP request or in a Job Ticket.

However, certain attributes are much harder for a printer to honor the
user's request and override a conflicting instruction in the PDL.  The
proposed new "pdl-override-attributes-guaranteed" (1setOf type2 keyword)
Printer Description attribute would allow the Printer to indicate which Job
Template (and Document Template) attributes the implementation is able to
actually honor the client's supplied attributes in spite of conflicting
instructions in the PDL.

Tom

P.S. I'm only replying to the IPP DL as requested by some members.