Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 23 09:46:28 EDT 2003

Hastings, Tom N wrote:
> I did go back to [RFC2911] and the definition of "pdl-override" Printer
> Description attribute has a reference to section 15.2 which has exactly the
> example of the media in the PDL being 'iso-a4' and the IPP "media"
> attributes being 'na-letter' that you cite as unclear.  Do you think it
> needs further clarifcation (about "media" size and other attributes)?

OK, the "problem" with this section is that PDF and other document
types (e.g. TIFF) do not actually contain printer commands.  They
may have a certain natural size associated with them, but we do not
define what behavior should be supported when the natural page size
of a document differs from the media/media-default attributes.

The current section *does* address printer PDLs but does not address
document formats in general; does a file that won't fit on the
selected media get scaled, cropped, or does it override implicitly?

Ideally, it would be useful to define an attribute
(pdl-media-override?) that specified the desired behavior, e.g.:

     pdl-media-override (type2 keyword)

     "none"   - Do not attempt to override the natural media
                selections in the document.
     "fit"    - Scale document pages to fit the job media.
     "center" - Scale larger document pages to fit the job media
                and center smaller pages within the job media.

CUPS currently uses "center" for PDF files, "none" for HP-GL/2,
and has additional attributes for images (the default is roughly
equivalent to the "none" behavior, although CUPS will split an
image onto multiple pages to get the "natural" size...)