Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Apr 24 06:44:42 EDT 2003

Peter,

in SM, Document Description attributes aren't inherinted from Job
Description attributes, right?  Same as IPP Document object.  In SM only
Processing attributes are inherited.  Same as the IPP Document object spec
in which the Document object inherits Job Template attributes, but does not
inherit Description attributes.

So DocumentFormat, DocumentName, Compression, DocumentNaturalLanguage, and
now DocumentFormatVersion, DocumentFormatDetails, DocumentCharSet,
DocumentDigitalSignature can't be submitted at the Job Level in CreateJob
and inherited by CreateDocument, right?  Same as in the IPP Document object

We discovered yesterday, in the IPPFAX telecon, than this limitation does
mean that CreateJob doesn't do all of the validation that ValidateJob does.
So we're keeping Validate-Job as REQUIRED in IPPFAX, even if the client
submits the job using Create-Job.  This is so that "document-format",
"document-format-version", "compression", will get validated.

Bug in the current Document Object spec (and SM spec):

The new "job-mandatory-attributes" Operation attribute is only allowed in
Print-Job, Print-URI, Validate-Job, and Create-Job.  But we've defined
"job-mandatory-attributes" to be able to name Operation attributes as well
as Job Template and Document Tempate attributes.  But Create-Job forbids
these Operation attributes:  "document-format", "document-format-version",
"document-format-details", "document-format-details" member attributes,
"document-charset", "document-digital-signature", and "compression".  Maybe
we need to rethink the inheritance for these important attributes in
Create-Job so that they can be supplied in Create-Job along with
"job-mandatory-attributes".

Then Create-Job would also be performing all of the validation that is
possible in Validate-Job.
And would make "job-mandator-attributes" work with these operation
attributes.

Tom