Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jun 17 20:01:12 EDT 2003

I don't understand the ISSUE that Dennis is raising about the same name for
a Job and a Printer attribute (e.g., "document-charset-default" for both a
Job Description attribute and a Printer Description attribute).

Dennis wrote:

 "This is fine as long as there are no Printer attributes that have the same

  name as Job attributes.  We are breaking that now: if the client requests
the
  "document-charset-default" attribute, for example, the Printer doesn't
know
  whether to return the Printer level "document-charset-default" or the Job
  level one, and the client that receives the notification doesn't know
which
  is which either."

Which "xxx" attribute is returned depends on the Get-Attributes-Xxxx
operation being queried (Xxxx = Printer versus Xxxx = Job).  For example, if
the client requests the "xxx" attribute, the response is:

Request                            Response
Get-Printer-Attributes             returns the Printer's "xxx" attr
Get-Job-Attributes                 returns the Job's "xxx" attr
Get-Document-Attributes            returns the Document's "xxx" attr
Get-Subscription-Attributes        returns the Subscription's "xxx" attr

What am I missing?

Tom