IPP> Non-member submission from ["TAYLOR,BOB (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <bobt@hp.com>]

Danny.M.Brennan at kp.org Danny.M.Brennan at kp.org
Tue Jul 1 14:29:39 EDT 2003

>From ipp-owner  Tue Jul  1 13:45:24 2003
From: "TAYLOR,BOB (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <bobt at hp.com>
To: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>
Cc: printing-driver at freestandards.org, Claudia Alimpich
<alimpich at us.ibm.com>,
   ipp at pwg.org, printing-jobticket at freestandards.org
Subject: RE: [printing-driver] RE: [printing-jobticket] Proposal to add ne
                  w IPP print-optimize attribute
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:45:04 -0700

My concern is in creating an extra attribute for "other stuff" that is
poorly distinguished from PrintQuality.  Let's look at the suggested
enumerations:

         'image': optimize for image clarity
         'photo': optimize for photo clarity
         'text': optimize for text clarity
         'text-and-image': optimize for both text and image clarity
         'save-toner': optimize for minimal toner usage
         'speed': optimize for printing speed
and from PrintQuality:
         'draft': lowest quality available on the printer
         'normal': normal or intermediate quality on the printer
         'high': highest quality available on the printer

There really are a few of semantic concepts in here:

print quality: bad <-> good
performance: slow <-> fast
marker/toner/ink usage: cheap <-> expense
content metadata hints: image, photo, text, text-and-image, etc.

Realize though that the semantics of things like "print with bad quality",
"print with lousy performance", or "use lots of extra toner" don't make
any
practical sense:  what you're really trying to do is give the
service/device
feedback on the tradeoffs of PQ/performance/marker usage.  So, while the
PrintQuality definitions just officially talks about "quality", that's not
what they really are in practice.  What is more realistic is:

'draft': fast & cheap - sacrifice print quality for speed and low marker
usage
'normal': balance - decent print quality with good speed and moderate
marker
usage
'high': look good - optimize print quality at the expense of speed and
marker usage

Many in the industry have extended this list (IPP extension rules
notwithstanding) for things like "econofast" and "bestphoto" - which are
merely additional tradeoff combinations.

So I'd argue that PrintQuality is already PrintOptimize - they are
effectively doing the same thing, just with different sets of
enumerations.
I would much rather we extend the enumerations than create another
attribute
to do what we've already done.

As for the "content metadata hints" - if the intent is a different
PW-performance-marker usage tradeoff, I'd add them to the PrintQuality
enumeration.  If we're really trying to provide hints about the coming
document content, then they should be an attribute of the document object,
since they are document metadata.  Realize also that this information is
often object specific - optimization is often done to different objects on
the same page of a document (e.g., different halftoning for an image on a
page vs. the bar chart on the same page).  I don't think we want to go
very
far down the path of document content metadata here - this could get very
messy.

As a separate note, not all printers use "toner" - save-toner should
probably be something like "save-marker"

thanks,

bt