Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 10 23:26:07 EDT 2003

> We finally agreed that the two values 'save-toner' and 'speed' are
implied by the "print-quality".  Since they were not required, they were
removed.

I think this warrants further examination. I have known toner saving
methods that do a very good job of preserving print quality.
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"Zehler, Peter" <PZehler at crt.xerox.com>
Sent by: owner-ipp at pwg.org
07/10/2003 01:41 PM

"IPP Discussion List (IPP at pwg.org)" <IPP at pwg.org>,
printing-jobticket at freestandards.org, printing-driver at freestandards.org
cc

Subject
IPP> Print Quality Issue resolution

All,
During the PWG/FSG meeting in Portland we had a discussion about the IPP
"print-quality" attribute and FSG's desire to add two new values,
'economy' and 'fine', where 'economy' is lower than 'draft' and 'fine' is
higher than 'high'. The FSG further proposed the addition of a new
attribute, called "print-optimize", that would augment "print-quality"
with values of 'image', 'photo', 'text', 'text-and-image', 'save-toner'
and 'speed'.
With regard to 'economy' and 'fine', we agreed that 'economy' would map to
"print-quality"='draft' and 'fine' to "print-quality"='high'.  There may
be end user visible features that map to multiple attributes.  We leave it
to specific print domains to model these higher level aggregate features.
When appropriate we will add needed elements to the Semantic Model.
There was a lot of push back on "print-optimize".  The main concern was
that "print-optimize" contained a mixed bag of items.  The two main
categories were content metadata and rendering hints.  We finally agreed
that the two values 'save-toner' and 'speed' are implied by the
"print-quality".  Since they were not required, they were removed.  The
remaining values are needed to direct the type of optimization/processing
that will be performed on the content.  It does not necessarily mean the
value describes the content.  To clarify this we changed the attribute
name to "print-content-optimize".  Finally the value 'image' seemed the
same as 'photo'.  The name for this was changed to 'graphic'.
As a result the following attribute will be added to the JobX
specification in it next revision.
   print-content-optimize (type2 keyword)
      This attribute refines the value specified by the print-quality
      attribute.
      The standard keyword values are:
         'graphic': optimize for graphic clarity
         'photo': optimize for photo clarity
         'text': optimize for text clarity
         'text-and-graphic': optimize for both text and graphic clarity

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Xerox Innovation Group
Email: PZehler at crt.xerox.com