IPP> FW: Copyright statements in drafts

don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Mon Jul 12 11:59:56 EDT 2004

Ira:

The IEEE's policy is one of assurance rather than disclosure.  Disclosure
is informally encouraged.

The W3C; however, does have a policy mandating disclosure.  It does
carefully walk this line by stating in clause 6.7:

"Disclosure of third party patents is only required where the Advisory
Committee Representative or Working Group participant has been made aware
that the third party patent holder or applicant has asserted that its
patent contains Essential Claims, unless such disclosure would breach a
pre-existing nondisclosure obligation."

It is important to realize that in RFC3668, from which clause 6.1.3 it
says:

"If a person has information about IPR that may Cover IETF Contributions,
but the participant is not required to disclose because they do not meet
the criteria in Section 6.6 (e.g., the IPR is owned by some other company),
such person is encouraged to notify the IETF by sending an email message to
ietf-ipr at ietf.org.  Such a notice should be sent as soon as reasonably
possible after the person realizes the connection."

Notice the use of the word "may" in the first sentence.  If you have even
the faintest idea that a patent might be on material in an I-D you should
disclose the existence of the patent but I don't read that section to mean
that you are claiming its applicability.  Also notice that disclosure of
the IPR of others is encouraged and not required.

The statement mandated to be included is actually extracted from RFC3667,
clause 5.1.  Since it states "in accordance with RFC3668" and since RFC3668
only encourages the disclosure of IPR belonging to others I'm not sure what
the hang up is.  There seems to be enough weasel words here that unless you
intentionally obfuscating the patents on your submission you'd be OK
especially if they are owned by someone else and for whom you are not an
agent or employee.

BTW:   I am not a lawyer.

 Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com

 Chair,  IEEE SA Standards Board
 Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors
 f.wright at ieee.org / f.wright at computer.org

 Director, Alliances & Standards
 Lexmark International
 740 New Circle Rd
 Lexington, Ky 40550
 859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)

|         |           "McDonald, Ira"  |
|         |           <imcdonald at sharpl|
|         |           abs.com>         |
|         |           07/12/2004 11:09 |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                       |
  |       To:       "'don at lexmark.com'" <don at lexmark.com>, "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>                      |
  |       cc:       "'carl at manros.com'" <carl at manros.com>, "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>, "Ipp at Pwg. Org"      |
  |        <ipp at pwg.org>, owner-ipp at pwg.org                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  RE: IPP> FW: Copyright statements in drafts                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi Don,

Disclosing someone else's patent worries me.

Disclosing that _in the judgment of that someone else_ this
patent has applicability to this spec is legally very dangerous.
Patent holders are typically very touchy about the timing of
making such judgments public.

Making document authors certify that they are not aware
of any relevant patent (belonging to other parties) is
_not_ consistent with the IPR policies of W3C or IEEE
(as far as I know).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434