Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:33:13 EDT 2008

Hi,

Per our discussion at yesterday's IPP WG telecon,
I looked up these two operations, just now:

Restart-Job - section 3.3.7 in RFC 2911
- MUST not change job-id - eek!
- moves job from completed state to pending
  or pending-held - violates state diagram
- BAD idea for accounting and security

Reprocess-Job - section 4.1 of RFC 3998
- MUST copy job attributes and create new Job
  with new job-id (returned in response)
- fixes the awful Restart-Job bugs

But, as we discussed yesterday, Reprocess-Job
means that the system (spooler or printer) must
keep all job attributes AND all job data for the
entire job history duration - costly and dubious.

Conclusions:

(1) We really should DEPRECATE Restart-Job
     in IPP/2.x Profiles and explain the rationale.

(2) Reprocess-Job is technically OK, but costly.
     Should remain OPTIONAL, even for IPP/2.2
     (Production Printing).

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter: