Per our discussion at yesterday's IPP WG telecon,
I looked up these two operations, just now:
Restart-Job - section 3.3.7 in RFC 2911
- MUST not change job-id - eek!
- moves job from completed state to pending
or pending-held - violates state diagram
- BAD idea for accounting and security
Reprocess-Job - section 4.1 of RFC 3998
- MUST copy job attributes and create new Job
with new job-id (returned in response)
- fixes the awful Restart-Job bugs
But, as we discussed yesterday, Reprocess-Job
means that the system (spooler or printer) must
keep all job attributes AND all job data for the
entire job history duration - costly and dubious.
(1) We really should DEPRECATE Restart-Job
in IPP/2.x Profiles and explain the rationale.
(2) Reprocess-Job is technically OK, but costly.
Should remain OPTIONAL, even for IPP/2.2
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176
PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839