Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jul 21 17:25:46 EDT 2008

All,

In today's telecon I brought up a question about whether it would be
a benefit to define a set of document formats that devices must
support.  This would have large benefits for interoperability and
the ability for clients of all shapes and sizes to print without
specialized printer drivers.

The wording I am thinking of is:

      REQUIRED DOCUMENT FORMATS

      IPP v2 devices MUST support one of the following document
      formats:

          document-format          Details
          application/pdf          ISO 32000-1:2008,
                                   ISO 19005-1:2005 (PDF/A),
                                   or PDF/IS?
          application/xhtml+xml    XHTML-Print
          image/jpeg               W3C JFIF* encapsulation
          image/png                ISO 15948, RFC 2083
          * http://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG/jfif3.pdf

I have not included application/postscript in the list because it
isn't standardized beyond simple page descriptions, both in the
official and real-world senses, and in many cases PostScript
printers require some level of device-dependent commands to be
used (think PPD files).

Likewise, I have not included image/tiff since TIFF is a catch-all
for thousands of sub-formats, and the most common sub-formats
(TIFF-G3 and TIFF-G4) are limited to reproduction of monochrome
graphics which make them less useful as a general printing format.

Comments?