IPP> Face-to-face meeting minutes posted

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:51:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

XPS - I agree with Mike that it's not appropriate as a required document
format for IPP right now.  But it *is* being formally standardized in ECMA
Technical Committee 46:

  http://www.ecma-international.org/memento/TC46.htm

And their current draft 1.2 is much improved from the earlier drafts
- worth watching.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> Whittle, Craig wrote:
>>

>> All:
>>

>> The minutes from the IPPv2 Camas, WA face-to-face meeting can be found at:
>>

>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-minutes/08AUG-Camas-IPPv2-face-to-face.pdf
>
> Feedback on meeting notes:
>
> 1. Just to be clear, the consensus was to remove the
>   document-format requirements entirely?
>
> 2. WRT XPS, it is patent-encumbered and not covered by any
>   existing ISO, IETF, PWG, or W3C standards.  It may make a
>   fine high-level PDL, but IMHO it isn't a good fit for a
>   required document-format.
>
> 3. WRT BMLinkS, this is the first I have heard of it.  The
>   web site indicates modest adoption by Japanese vendors,
>   and as best as I can tell from the documentation
>   everything is passed as TIFF files, which are a nightmare
>   to support thanks to the thousands of possible varients
>   you'll run into...
>
> 4. CUPS doesn't define required formats, but it does implement
>   a lot of them.  I'm more than happy to write up a spec
>   for this, though...
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
 579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176