[IPP] Two alternatives to the Cancel-Job and Purge-Jobs operations to get the CUPS features

Tom Hastings tom.hastings at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 05:13:21 EDT 2009

For our IPP WG telecon today, I'd like to consider two alternatives to
enhancing Cancel-Job and Purge-Jobs operations that are simpler to
understand than the ones we agreed to at the last IPP Telecon.  Alternative
1 does not quite provide all of the flexibility as CUPS:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Job-and-Purge-Jobs-alternative1-v6-2
0091004.pdf

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Job-and-Purge-Jobs-alternative1-v6-2
0091004.doc
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippprodprintext10-v6-20091004.pdf>

while Alternative 2 does:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Job-and-Purge-Jobs-alternative2-v6-2
0091004.pdf

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Job-and-Purge-Jobs-alternative2-v6-2
0091004.doc

In order to make the comparison easier, I've also uploaded just the proposed
changes to Cancel-Job and Purge-Jobs as agreed to at the last IPP WG
telecon:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Job-and-Purge-Jobs-additions-v6-2009
1004.pdf

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Job-and-Purge-Jobs-additions-v6-2009
1004.doc
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippprodprintext10-v6-20091004.pdf>

Alternative 1 Summary

Alternative 1 includes the following functionality:

being able to cancel all my jobs, instead of just the specified job

being able to purge all my jobs, instead of just all jobs

If Michael is willing to update CUPS (to support the old and something new),
Alternative 1 would be to add only the following Operation attribute to
Cancel-Job:

 "all-my-jobs" (boolean) with default 'false'

instead of adding "cancel-jobs" (boolean) with default 'false' to the
Purge-Jobs operation.  Then we would NOT have an operation attribute
("cancel-jobs") which changes one operation (Purge-Jobs) into another
operation (Cancel-Job).

Similarly, another new and simpler alternative to add only the following
Operation attribute to Purge-Jobs:

"my-jobs" (boolean) with default value 'false'.

instead of adding either "purge-jobs" (boolean) or "cancel-jobs" (boolean)
operation attribute to Purge-Jobs.  Then we would NOT have an operation
attribute ("cancel-jobs" or "purge-jobs") which changes one operation
(Purge-Jobs) into another operation (Cancel-Job).

Furthermore, I think that this alternative for Purge-Jobs is so simple that
we don't need the complicated table.

Alternative 2 Summary

This Alternative 2 is slightly more complicated than alternative 1, but gets
all of the functionality that the CUPS proposal includes:

being able to cancel all jobs or all my jobs, instead of just the specified
job

being able to purge a specified job or all my jobs, instead of just all
jobs.

If Michael is willing to update CUPS (to support the old and something new),
alternative 2 would be to add only the following Operation attribute to
Cancel-Job operation:

"which-jobs" (type2 keyword) with values:

'specified-job' - (default) cancel the job specified by the supplied
"job-id" or "job-url"

'all-my-jobs' - cancel all my jobs

'all-jobs' - cancel all jobs;

If the Printer's security policy does not allow the authenticated user to
cancel jobs for which the requesting user is not the owner, then the IPP
object MUST reject the operation and return client-error-not-authorized

instead of adding "cancel-jobs" (boolean) with default 'false' to the
Purge-Jobs operation.  Then we would NOT have an operation attribute
("cancel-jobs") which changes one operation (Purge-Jobs) into another
operation (Cancel-Job).

Similarly, alternative 2 to add the following 3 Operation attribute to
Purge-Jobs:

"job-id" (integer(1:MAX)) - specifies the job to be purged

"job-url" (url) - specifies the job to be purged

"which-jobs" (type2 keyword) with values:

'specified-job' - purge the job specified by the supplied "job-id" or
"job-url"

'all-my-jobs' - purge all my jobs

'all-jobs' - (default) purges all jobs

If the Printer's security policy does not allow the authenticated user to
purge jobs for which the requesting user is not the owner, then the IPP
object MUST reject the operation and return client-error-not-authorized

instead of adding either "purge-jobs" (boolean) or "cancel-jobs" (boolean)
operation attribute to Purge-Jobs.  Then we would NOT have an operation
attribute ("cancel-jobs" or "purge-jobs") which changes one operation
(Purge-Jobs) into another operation (Cancel-Job).

Furthermore, I think that this alternative for Purge-Jobs is so simple that
we don't need the complicated table.

Tom