[IPP] Descriptions of CUPS additions to the Cancel-Job and Purge-Jobs operations

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Sep 15 20:08:53 UTC 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Tom Hastings wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for posting.
>
> I assume that Purge-Jobs doesn't work on all jobs, if the user isn't
> the
> Operator.  As you mentioned on the phone it only purges your jobs,
> if you
> aren't the operator.  But the behavior isn't in the text below.

Right, the CUPS documentation isn't always up to the same levels of
clarity as public specs...

> RFC 2911 has the section:
>
>   Access Rights: The authenticated user (see section 8.3) performing
>   this operation [MUST] be an operator or administrator of the Printer
>   object (see Sections 1 and 8.5).  Otherwise, the IPP object MUST
>   reject the operation and return: client-error-forbidden, client-
>   error-not-authenticated, and client-error-not-authorized as
>   appropriate.
>
> Presumably, the second sentence could be modified to something like
> either:
>
> Otherwise, the IPP object MUST behave as if the user supplied the
> "my-jobs"
> attribute with the 'true' value, no matter whether the client
> supplied the
> "my-jobs" attribute.
>
> OR
>
> Otherwise, the IPP object MUST reject the operation and return:
> client-error-forbidden, client-error-not-authenticated, and
> client-error-not-authorized as appropriate, unless the client
> explicitly
> supplied the "my-jobs" with a 'true' value (since the default value is
> 'false').

The second version matches the current default behavior, although CUPS
*does* offer a lot of configurability when it comes to policies like
this.

> Since the IPP WG agreed today to add these ideas to the Set2 spec, I'd
> appreciate feed back while I'm editing that.

I'm more than happy to provide it! :)

> Also I assume that the new "purge-job" (boolean) attribute will be
> OPTIONAL
> for a Printer to support in our Set2 draft, since they are new
> attributes in
> existing operations, right?

Right.  The new attributes, "purge-job" for the Cancel-Job operation
and "purge-jobs" for the Purge-Jobs operation, are optional, just as
my-jobs and requesting-user-name are optional.

> Tom

believed to be clean.