[IPP] Re: Initial draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter (28 February 2010)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 1 22:40:24 UTC 2010

On Feb 28, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just posted an Initial working draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter
> for review tomorrow during our IPP WG teleconference at:
>
> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippeverywhere-charter-20100228.pdf / doc
> - with line numbers and all proposed milestone dates
>
> The content is derived from Mike's IPP Everywhere BOF slides at our
> recent PWG face-to-face meeting on 10 February 2010.

Since we didn't get a chance to go over this in today's conference call, my comments:

1. Line 39, IPP Everywhere Profiles - I don't think we want to define multiple conformance levels; instead, we want to define a single conformance level (basically somewhere between 2.0 and 2.1 - call it 2.05 :) with the bits that are necessary to support printing from any client.

2. Lines 36 and 39 - since we are only defining a single conformance level, maybe we don't want two separate standards documents (extensions + profile) but instead a single combined document?

3. Line 45, OSS-2 - we have already identified one potential new format (raster), and we may also find that we want to define a proper subset of PDF with just the parts needed for printing, so we shouldn't rule them out as IPP Everywhere work (although it may ultimately make more sense to push that work in other forums, e.g. IETF RFCs or ISO standards)

4. Line 48, OSS-4 - if we do one spec instead of two (see #2 above), then this will need to be removed.

5. Line 58, OBJ-5 - the optimization is not just for the clients.

6. Line 59, OBJ-6 - Pete had mentioned defining a Semantic Model document that could be used as the basis of the IPP transport mapping as well as future transports; it seems backwards to define the semantic model from the transport mapping...

7. Lines 68, 69, 70 - Push back 1 quarter since this puts all of the IPP Everywhere work on top of the final IPP/2.0 and JPS2 work; better to make sure we have those right (and maybe even some good testing completed) than to have to juggle it all at once to meet the deadline.

believed to be clean.