[IPP] Re: Interim draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter (2 March 2010)

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 18:12:34 UTC 2010

Considering that, as stated in the PWG Process document, the requirements
are established after the Charter is approved, the Charter perhaps should
not be so specific. Since requirements have not yet been considered by the
group in general, it would seem premature to say whether or not a new
protocol may be considered or how many documents must be generated.

I would observe that I see nothing in the Problem Statement that clearly
predicates either the OSS or OBJ statements. Indeed, this Charter appears to
suggest that the solution has already been decided upon, which may indeed be
the case. Considering that the problem statement is real and should be
addressed for the benefit of the industry as well as the users, presupposing
the solution seems inappropriate.

At any rate, I suggest dropping OSS-2 and, if desired, making the "use of
existing data formats, protocols and bindings" an objective. (I regard
objectives as more amenable to reconsideration as a solution to the problem
is considered than out-of-scope statements.) I would not suggest adding
"(re)design of a raster format" as an objective, although "defining a
solution appropriate to a broad range of print capable devices from low end
ink-jets to enterprise MFDs" (or whatever) might be an appropriate objective
that follows from the problem statement.

Bill Wagner