[IPP] Stable draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter (17 April2010)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Apr 28 21:40:27 UTC 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Paul Tykodi wrote:
> Hi Ira,
>
> I wanted to add my voice, as the current IPP Working Group Chair, to say
> that I fully support the decision to not require printing with generic
> (PDL-based) printer drivers as a conformance requirement for IPP Everywhere.

FWIW, I'm certainly hoping that we *do* end up with at least one common, required PDL, otherwise IPP Everywhere will be as useless as IPP/2.0 - we don't need another raw transport pipe...  And if you'll remember I argued for a required PDL when we defined IPP/2.0 as well (for the same reasons...)

> I do believe the printing experience would be greatly enhanced by reducing
> the need for printer drivers but I don't think adding this as a requirement
> to IPP Everywhere would enhance the proposed specification's acceptance by
> the industry at this moment in time.

Given that a common PDL is pretty much the only way to get away from printer drivers (which opens up LOTS of new markets, particularly in the mobile space), I think we do really need to make it a requirement.

> Do you think we should develop a short FAQ on some of the potential IPP
> Everywhere use case scenarios we have already started collecting for other
> reasons within PWG (i.e. Cloud Printing) to help give people further context
> on the plans for IPP Everywhere prior to the actual vote?

I think a FAQ (along with updates to my slides) is entirely appropriate.

> Let me know your thoughts.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> /Paul