[IPP] Proposal for mapping Printer MIB into IPP

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 17:43:28 UTC 2010

Hi,                                            Saturday (21 August 2010)

Per my action item from our August 2010 PWG Meeting, here is my proposal
for a new IPP spec called "IPP Printer Device Extensions".

Since the complete ABNF and mapping rules for all 170+ objects defined
in the Printer MIB will be fairly long, I suggest that this should be in
a separate IPP spec and not simply included in "IPP Everywhere" spec.

Comments?

Approach:

- Avoid use of new Object (e.g., Device) or Collection to reduce cost
  for lightweight mobile implementations of IPP Clients

- Follow style of IPP PSX mapping of prtAlertTable, i.e., array of text
  parameters in "printer-alert" representing most columns and separate
  attributes like "printer-alert-description" for string MIB objects

- Convert all enumerated values from Printer MIB into IANA registered
  string names, e.g., "prtChannelType" of "38" maps to "chBidirPortTCP"

- Map bit masks, e.g., "prtChannelStatus (PrtSubUnitStatusTC), directly
  as integers (because string encoding in IPP is too verbose)

Pros:

- Simple human-readable text encoding

- Lightweight (no new attribute groups, objects, etc.)

- High fidelity mapping from Printer MIB objects to IPP attributes

Cons:

- Like "printer-alert", maps a *single* physical output device onto an
  IPP Printer object

- Note that this precedent was already established with "printer-alert"
  which has shipped in CUPS and various printers for several years

Examples:

printer-channel[1] =
    "index=1;type=chBidirPortTCP;jclIndex=0;pdlIndex=1;
    state=printDataAccepted;ifIndex=3;status=0;"

printer-channel-version[1] =
    "Bi-Directional Raw TCP/IP Printing"

printer-channel-info[1] =
    "Port=9100"

printer-marker[1] =
    "index=1;markTech=inkjetAqueous;counterUnit=impressions;
    lifeCount=23412;powerOnCount=479;processColorants=4;
    spotColorants=0;addressUnit=tenThousandthsOfInches;
    addressFeedDir=600;addressXFeedDir=600;
    northMargin=1066;southMargin=1066;eastMargin=1066;westMargin=1066;
    status=0;"

believed to be clean.