[IPP] Re: Proposal for mapping Printer MIB into IPP

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:33:57 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

Square brackets in examples mean a row instance in 1setOf tables,
just like in IPP PSX examples.

On reflection, I agree that changing all the enums (dozens) to labels
is undesirable.  So I propose a high-fidelity direct mapping (i.e., an
integer object stays a decimal string integer and a string object gets
a separate IPP attribute, to disambiguate line delimiters).

Hmm?

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> Comments inline...
>
> On Aug 21, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>> Hi,                                            Saturday (21 August 2010)
>>
>> Per my action item from our August 2010 PWG Meeting, here is my proposal
>> for a new IPP spec called "IPP Printer Device Extensions".
>>
>> Since the complete ABNF and mapping rules for all 170+ objects defined
>> in the Printer MIB will be fairly long, I suggest that this should be in
>> a separate IPP spec and not simply included in "IPP Everywhere" spec.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Of course we'll need to update the IPP charter to cover this, right? :)
>
>> Cheers,
>> - Ira

>> Approach:
>>
>> - Avoid use of new Object (e.g., Device) or Collection to reduce cost
>>  for lightweight mobile implementations of IPP Clients
>>
>> - Follow style of IPP PSX mapping of prtAlertTable, i.e., array of text
>>  parameters in "printer-alert" representing most columns and separate
>>  attributes like "printer-alert-description" for string MIB objects
>>
>> - Convert all enumerated values from Printer MIB into IANA registered
>>  string names, e.g., "prtChannelType" of "38" maps to "chBidirPortTCP"
>>
>> - Map bit masks, e.g., "prtChannelStatus (PrtSubUnitStatusTC), directly
>>  as integers (because string encoding in IPP is too verbose)
>
> I presume we would also require mapping of OID (indirect) values to the actual/real values?
>

>> Pros:
>>
>> - Simple human-readable text encoding
>>
>> - Lightweight (no new attribute groups, objects, etc.)
>>
>> - High fidelity mapping from Printer MIB objects to IPP attributes
>>

>> Cons:
>>
>> - Like "printer-alert", maps a *single* physical output device onto an
>>  IPP Printer object
>>
>> - Note that this precedent was already established with "printer-alert"
>>  which has shipped in CUPS and various printers for several years
>
> - Puts a greater burden on the client to decode the "simple" human-readable text encoding.
> - Does not expose "simple" attributes/values like we do for printer-state-reasons (e.g. printer-state-reasons gives the high-level issue, looking at printer-alert gives you details)
>
>> Examples:
>
> In the examples below you are including bracketed numbers after the name - what does that represent?
>
> Also, the first 3 examples show how you would map a port 9100 print channel into an IPP attribute, which seems strange (something to think about for the "final" spec...)
>
>> printer-channel[1] =
>>    "index=1;type=chBidirPortTCP;jclIndex=0;pdlIndex=1;
>>    state=printDataAccepted;ifIndex=3;status=0;"
>>
>> printer-channel-version[1] =
>>    "Bi-Directional Raw TCP/IP Printing"
>>
>> printer-channel-info[1] =
>>    "Port=9100"
>>

>> printer-marker[1] =
>>    "index=1;markTech=inkjetAqueous;counterUnit=impressions;
>>    lifeCount=23412;powerOnCount=479;processColorants=4;
> [...]

believed to be clean.