[IPP] RE: [SC] Revised IPP Everywhere Charter (27 Sept 2010)

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Sep 28 01:22:19 UTC 2010

Ira et al,

A few thoughts.

1.     If I get  it correctly, the change is in:

a.     Suggesting that IPP Everywhere will need new operations as well as
attributes (I think we all expected that)

b.     Documenting these new operations and attributes in yet another IPP
Extension document rather than in the IPP Everywhere specification, with the
intent of making these additions available to other IPP implementations as
well.

2.     My first reaction (indeed when it was first proposed) was that a
charter change is really not necessary. You are now doing the same thing in
three steps rather than two. But I understand that there may be some who
will cry that the additional document exceeds that permitted by the charter.

3.     However, with the additional Extension Set 3 identifying operations
and attributes needed for IPP Everywhere, it would seem that logically one
must establish extension set 3 before the IPP Everywhere spec. For example,
the new goal 'c' should be stated second, and the IPP Everywhere Definition
should refer to Extension Set 3 as well as the IPP/2.0  Specification and
other documents.

4.     Finally, unless there is a new IPP/X.X specification, (I don't think
a third edition would be a reasonable approach.I am seeing much confusion
with IPP/2.0 Second Edition), there would be no standard tying Extension set
3 into non IPP Everywhere implementations. Actually, I thought the idea of
holding off six months on IPP/2.0 Second Edition and including Extension
Set 3 was a good idea. At this point, we are losing the objective of having
a single cohesive IPP document defining compliance.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner