[IPP] Working on IPP Everywhere umbrella spec, some thoughts...

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:45:42 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

One more thought about interoperability.

RFC 2911 says in section 4.4.18 "charset-supported" (REQUIRED)
that 'utf-8' MUST be supported by all IPP Printers.

But RFC 2911 in section 4.4.17 "charset-configured" (REQUIRED)
is silent about any default value.

I think that IPP Everywhere should say that "charset-configured"
MUST default to 'utf-8' - for compatibility with printing gateways,
RESTful/SOAPy XML schema, and modern SNMP MIBs which
all use SnmpAdminString (UTF-8 fixed charset) for localized text.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Good thinking!
>
> I've been worrying about this proliferation of IPP Everywhere
> conformance levels (in some IPP attribute?) that would sort of
> compete with regular IPP protocol version levels.
>
> I much prefer to use the IPP 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 protocol versions
> for our IPP Everywhere conformance levels.
>
> More questions:
>
> (1) Do we need a new IPP boolean ipp-everywhere-supported
> attribute to specify that IPP Everywhere is supported.
>
> (2) Do we need a new IPP keyword ipp-discovery-supported
> attribute to specify the (one or more) discovery protocols that
> are supported.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Christmas through April:
>   579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>   734-944-0094
> May to Christmas:
>   PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>   906-494-2434
>

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> As I am getting the rest of the IPP Everywhere spec together, it occurs to
>> me that there are two logical categories of IPP printers we may want to use
>> from a client:
>>
>> 1. A standalone personal/workgroup printer that prints (and accepts) one
>> job at a time (basically IPP/2.0)
>> 2. A managed printer/print service that prints (and accepts) multiple jobs
>> at a time (IPP/2.1 or IPP/2.2)
>>
>> Now, we could define these as separate conformance levels for IPP
>> Everywhere, *or* we could have IPP Everywhere use the protocol versions
>> defined in IPP/2.0 SE as the basis for IPP Everywhere's different
>> conformance levels.
>>
>> Quick outline:
>>
>> IPP/2.0: Add required JPS3 attributes and operations, Cancel-My-Jobs and
>> media-col-database from JPS2, DNS-SD for discovery, and PWG Raster as the
>> required document format.
>>
>> IPP/2.1: Add required JPS3 attributes and operations, Cancel-My-Jobs,
>> Cancel-Jobs, and media-col-database from JPS2, DNS-SD, LDAP, and SLP for
>> discovery, and PWG Raster and PDF as the required document formats.
>>
>> IPP/2.2: Add required JPS3 attributes and operations, DNS-SD, LDAP, and
>> SLP for discovery, and PWG Raster and PDF as the required document formats.
>>
>> Thoughts?

>> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.