[IPP] Re: IPP JPS3 - "printer-supply[-description]" encodings

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Mar 29 21:19:22 UTC 2011

Ira,

I'm working on getting this text into a new rev of the JPS3 specification. Some comments below...

On Mar 28, 2011, at 7:55 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
> (3) prtMarkerSuppliesColorantIndex is omitted in "printer-supply"
> because it is redundant with prtMarkerColorantIndex for the rows that
> include colorant information.

Do we even need the colorantIndex from the prtMarkerColorant table? Seems like unnecessary information that will never get used in this composite view of the two tables...

Same for Index - we implicitly already have it (1setOf is ordered) so why include it?

MaxCapacity should be REQUIRED since otherwise how do you interpret Level?

Finally, I would make at least the colorant Value conditionally required, otherwise the data can't be represented properly in UI.

>                 Table 6 - Keywords for printer-supply
>
> SNMP Supply Object      IPP Datatype    IPP Keyword         Conformance
> ------------------      ------------    -----------         -----------
> prtMarkerSupplies...
> Index (note 1)          Integer         index               RECOMMENDED
> MarkerIndex (note 2)    Integer         markerindex         OPTIONAL
> ColorantIndex (note 3)  Integer         ---                 ---
> Class                   String          class               RECOMMENDED
> Type                    String          type                REQUIRED
> SupplyUnit              String          unit                RECOMMENDED
> MaxCapacity             Integer         maxcapacity         RECOMMENDED
> Level                   Integer         level               REQUIRED
>
> prtMarkerColorant...
> Index                   Integer         colorantindex       OPTIONAL
> Role                    String          colorantrole        OPTIONAL
> Value                   String          colorantname        OPTIONAL
> Tonality                Integer         coloranttonality    OPTIONAL

believed to be clean.