[IPP] "print-color-mode" or "imaging-color-mode"?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Apr 18 21:16:46 UTC 2011

On Apr 18, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Tim McCann wrote:
> Granted, I am still getting up to speed on much of this (so please forgive
> me in advance if I'm stepping into something already covered), but didn't
> Lexmark recently really blur the difference of scan capture and camera
> capture when they put a camera in their Genesis print/mfp device in order to
> capture data as their scanning device?
>
> It seems to me that a name like "capture-color-mode" might eliminate the
> scan, scan, fax, and camera issue.

But you aren't "capturing" when you print - "capture" really only works as an adjective when taking something in (scan, fax-in, email-in) while "imaging" covers anything image-related.

I agree with Glen that "imaging" is an unfortunately broad term, however we haven't come up with a suitable replacement word that is limited to printing, facsimile, scanning, copying, transform, etc. in multifunction devices.

> Tim

believed to be clean.