[IPP] Comments on PWG Raster

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Aug 8 21:39:06 UTC 2011

Mike,

For EdgeEnum,  I believe this the media "feed edge".  The keyword could
be reduced to ShortEdge and LongEdge since addition of "First" does not
help in the describing the data.  I might suggest the name be changed to
"FeedEdgeShort" and "FeedEdgeLong".

I do not understand the title MediaPosition.  Does this mean input tray
(or source tray).  So the enum is really MediaInputTrayEnum or
MediaSourceEnum.  I like MediaInputTrayEnum; since it is used in a lot
of other specifications.

Hagaki is not media source.

I actually do not see that Photo is a source or tray.  I understand that
you would to specify the "photo media tray"; but really, the request is
use the tray with photo media.  If the actual tray is not known; then
the tray is set to "auto" and Media type is to "photo".

I compared the Media Input tray to JTAPI and found several differences I
would like to discuss.

1.	"Main" is not used in JTAPI and I believe it can be covered by
"Auto".  Thus it can be dropped.
2.	"Alternate" is not used in JTAPI and I believe does indicate an
actual tray and can be covered by "Auto".  Thus it can be dropped.
3.	"Manual" in JTAPI is specified as "By Pass Tray" or "Insert
Tray".
4.	"Roll" is specified in JTAPI as "Roll", "Roll 1", "Roll 2", etc.
and not as main or alternate.  I suggest using the Roll 1 and Roll 2,
etc you already have and drop main and alternate.
5.	Are there really printers with 20 input trays or 10 rolls?
These are lot of input trays!!!!  I know of finishing devices with that
many trays but not the printer.
6.	Are the numerical values 18 and 19 supposed to be skipped?

This is the list from JTAPI:

ANY_SMALL_FORMAT

ANY_LARGE_FORMAT

AUTO_SELECT

BOTTOM

BYPASS_TRAY

BYPASS_TRAY_1

BYPASS_TRAY_2

BYPASS_TRAY_3

CONTINUOUS

DISC

DISC_1

DISC_2

DISC_3

ENVELOPE

ENVELOPE_1

ENVELOPE_2

ENVELOPE_3

FRONT

INSERT_TRAY

INSERT_TRAY_1

INSERT_TRAY_2

INSERT_TRAY_3

LARGE_CAPACITY

LARGE_CAPACITY_1

LARGE_CAPACITY_2

LARGE_CAPACITY_3

LEFT

MIDDLE

REAR

RIGHT

ROLL

ROLL_1

ROLL_2

ROLL_3

SIDE

TOP

TRAY

TRAY_1

TRAY_2

TRAY_3

I suggest changing "LeadingEdge" to "FeedEdge"

Can you add wording for multi-variable data on the specific order of
data in the header.  Example ImageBox; I guess it Left, Top, Right,
Bottom order (which is backwards from most system I know of; most are
top, left, bottom and right.)

For the Margins you have Left and Bottom while the convention is Top and
Left (in that order).   Should these be changed?

I do see the definition for "OrientationEnum" in the specification.

You use unsigned integer for most variable which make sense for C-Code
implementation; however, Java does not have unsigned integers.  What
would be the potential "danger" of specifying signed integers.

What/Where is description for "ImageBoudningBox" (not ImageBox stuff
that is given in section 4.3.2.8).

I do not see a section with a descriptive paragraph (section) for Manual
Feed.

What is LSB for Media Weight? Or number of significant bits.

I am a little confused about the term "RenderingIntent".   Do you mean
ColorMapping; that is how one maps from image color space to device
color space. Example in perceptional, linear, clipped, etc.

believed to be clean.