[IPP] Error in IANA registration for number-up-supported

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:54:10 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

Right - I checked RFC 2911 and there aren't any other IPP/1.1
xxx-supported attributes with strange complex datatypes - just
the usual keyword or name stuff.

Searching the IANA registry seems the best way to look for other
quirks - I think we avoided strange complex datatypes for other
xxx-supported in the later IETF/PWG IPP specs.

Note that PWG SM XML schema discarded this strange type
for Capabilities.NumberUp (it's just a set of discrete integers,
no ranges allowed).

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Ira,
>
> I've been doing that as I go through the new-and-improved IPP conformance
> tests; this is the only one I saw for the required IPP/1.1, 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2
> printer attributes.
>
> On Sep 14, 2011, at 3:25 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Yes - it looks like a bug to me too.
>
> We should look through RFC 2911 to see if there are other
> complex "xxx-supported" capabilities attributes that didn't
> get originally registered correctly in IANA IPP Registry.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Christmas through April:
>   579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>   734-944-0094
> May to Christmas:
>   PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>   906-494-2434
>

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> All (particularly Ira... :),
>>
>> Looks like the IANA registration for number-up-supported is messed up. It
>> currently just says:
>>
>>  Job Template number-up-supported  integer(1:MAX) [RFC2911<http://www.iana.org/go/rfc2911>
>> ]but it should be:
>>
>>  Job Template number-up-supported  1setOf (integer(1:MAX) |
>> rangeOfInteger(1:MAX)) [RFC2911 <http://www.iana.org/go/rfc2911>]
>> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair
>>

>> --
>> dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
>>
>> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.