[IPP] Re: Topic for IPP slides at F2F (MFD Alerts - IPP extension)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 16 03:51:17 UTC 2011

On Sep 15, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I'd like to add to the IPP slide deck discussion of the MFD Alerts
> for Printer MIB spec which has just had its second review at
> Prototype status:

Will do.

> Will CUPS pickup the IANA IPP Registry keywords for scanner, fax
> modem, and security alerts in IPP printer-state-reasons attribute?

CUPS already supports arbitrary keywords from drivers, so a fax driver definitely could set them today.

Scanning is not currently supported via CUPS, so that will have to wait for a future implementation.

As for the security keywords, I will need to review them closely; it isn't clear that mapping them all to printer-state-reasons makes sense since they represent events (alerts) and not persistent conditions.

Moreover, I think all of the keywords need at least a sentence to describe what they mean (it is not obvious to me, particularly for the security keywords)

believed to be clean.