[IPP] Re: Topic for IPP slides at F2F (MFD Alerts - IPP extension)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun Sep 18 22:35:19 UTC 2011

Ira,

Given the inconsistencies I've seen in recent years with even the keywords defined in RFC 2911, I really think we need to provide specific descriptions for each new keyword, otherwise they won't get used (or won't get used properly).

In addition, I think we want to document which new keywords are not appropriate for use with printer-state-reasons (even if they have to be registered for that attribute), simply because some are not persistent/present state but instead are really identifiers for sporadic events.  We don't want "idiot lights" that need to be reset, and we don't want clients that poll the printer on the off chance they'll see a particular keyword show up in printer-state-reasons because the printer chose not to support printer-alerts.

(and FWIW I think we want IPP Everywhere to require printer-alert and printer-alert-description...)

believed to be clean.