[IPP] Addition to PWG Raster Spec

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:42:23 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

About putting "print-content-type" (or whatever name) into
PWG Raster rather than JPS3.

I suggest this is an architectural error - it's NOT just useful
for PWG Raster - it's useful for any raster or other opaque
document format.

It was the broader use case that we were concerned about
in the Open Printing Job Ticket API work.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Glen,
>
> I was more thinking "where to put it in the header", but I've since decided
> to put PrintQuality in one of the empty cupsInteger slots and put your
> PrintContentType in the OutputType string field.
>

> Ira,
>
> As for which specification, since the first use is in the PWG Raster Format
> spec, I'm thinking we should put it in the PWG Raster Format spec and then
> include it in the list of required IPP Everywhere job template attributes...
>
> Thoughts?
>

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
>
> ** **
> ** **
>
> ****
> New Attribute****
> PrintContentType: Text, Text+Graphics, Graphics(vector), Photo********
> This is combined with “OutputType” to optimize output.********
> This was big discussion in JTAPI definition and it was determine that is
> necessary to have both values.****
> ****
>
> ** **
> We don't have this in the semantic model or IPP yet. Where do you propose I
> put this?****
> ** **
> I am not sure what you mean “where do you propose I put this”?****
> ** **
> If you mean --****
> Within the PWG Raster it can occupy the first; no, better yet the last 4
> bytes of the vender data space and shorten the vendor data space.****
> ** **
> If you mean--****
> Where will the information come from in a SM or IPP “job ticket”; then, I
> agree there is no source.  But if an application choices to create a PWG
> Raster file and knows the PrintContentType value; then the application can
> fill in the field.  The default value of zero (‘0’) can represent the value
> of “unknown” or “not specified”.  So the enum could be****
> ** **
> typedef enum {****
>             NotSpecifed = 0,****