[IPP] Addition to PWG Raster Spec

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:18:29 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

I see this "print-content-optimize" as bells-and-whistles
anyway.

But practically speaking PWG Raster and IPP JPS3
probably *will* be finished (prototypes complete and
drafts updated to stable and into PWG Last Call) at
about the same time - they're supposed to be - for the
overall IPP Everywhere 1.0 timeline.

You're referring to an explicit PWG Raster dependency
on JPS3 for "print-content-optimize" - I don't think we
need one (PWG Raster can have the header field and
JPS3 can "later" define the IPP attribute).

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Ira,
>
> I agree it isn't a great fit in PWG Raster, but if we put it in JPS3 then
> JPS3 has to be completed before we can finish PWG Raster...
>
> On Sep 19, 2011, at 6:42 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> About putting "print-content-type" (or whatever name) into
> PWG Raster rather than JPS3.
>
> I suggest this is an architectural error - it's NOT just useful
> for PWG Raster - it's useful for any raster or other opaque
> document format.
>
> It was the broader use case that we were concerned about
> in the Open Printing Job Ticket API work.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Christmas through April:
>   579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>   734-944-0094
> May to Christmas:
>   PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>   906-494-2434
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Glen,
>>
>> I was more thinking "where to put it in the header", but I've since
>> decided to put PrintQuality in one of the empty cupsInteger slots and put
>> your PrintContentType in the OutputType string field.
>>

>> Ira,
>>
>> As for which specification, since the first use is in the PWG Raster
>> Format spec, I'm thinking we should put it in the PWG Raster Format spec and
>> then include it in the list of required IPP Everywhere job template
>> attributes...
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

>> On Sep 12, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
>>
>> ** **
>> ** **
>>
>> ****
>> New Attribute****
>> PrintContentType: Text, Text+Graphics, Graphics(vector), Photo********
>> This is combined with “OutputType” to optimize output.********
>> This was big discussion in JTAPI definition and it was determine that is
>> necessary to have both values.****
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>> We don't have this in the semantic model or IPP yet. Where do you propose
>> I put this?****
>>  ** **
>> I am not sure what you mean “where do you propose I put this”?****
>> ** **
>> If you mean --****
>> Within the PWG Raster it can occupy the first; no, better yet the last 4
>> bytes of the vender data space and shorten the vendor data space.****
>> ** **
>> If you mean--****
>> Where will the information come from in a SM or IPP “job ticket”; then, I
> [...]

believed to be clean.