[IPP] JPS3 comment on xxx-preferred

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Sun Jan 15 12:21:22 EST 2012

Why do we have a bunch of xxx-preferred attributes?  It complicates the
model with a bunch of attributes and is not general purpose enough to
address all the possible conflicting attributes and values.

Is there any reason we cannot provide this functionality in a manner
similar to "unsupported-attributes".  The "unsupported-attributes" is
handled in IPP as an out of band group in an IPP response.   We could
extend the encoding of out of band attributes to include a new group for
"xxx-preferred" .  That way any substituted or conflicting attributes
and values could be returned for a Validate operation.

I would prefer to handle "xxx-preferred" using the collection syntax.  I
think it is easier and requires fewer changes to the IPP encoding.
Defining "attributes-preferred" as a collection of attributes and
permitting any template attributes to be included would be a simple
generalization.  It would also allow a client to pick those
attribute/values out to correct their request and not rely on printer
substitution.

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com <mailto:Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com>
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.